Hello people. I swear I am — this — close to finishing the new layout, but darn IE and it’s petty issues and I still need to sort out some kinks, but take a sneak peek:
See. I am not lying. I’ll talk more about it when it’s up. Anyhow, I really do prefer the new version of WordPress that I installed on my comp (like I’ve mentioned before, the one this site is running on is ancient); it’s much cleaner and friendlier.
My computer is now running on Windows 7. As you might know, I had massive issues with Windows XP in the past, and used Ubuntu for almost a year, and then back to XP. I avoided Vista like the plague. But Windows 7 seems much better, I liked that it searched for and installed the necessary drivers on its own, and is very tablet-friendly (especially for Tablet PCs, but still — I’m back to using the tablet as a mouse now, which I didn’t do with XP because of its tendency to suddenly un-recognise itself). I still dislike the many notifications, and how the screen flickers/dims/blacks out before one such notification. Seriously scares my socks off every time.
I made a list (a real physical one, on a post-it note ) of software that I used before I wiped my computer clean to install Windows 7. And I thought I’d share it here, with Firefox add-ons that I use too, in case they’re helpful to anyone. The stuff that are freeware (or not, but I want you to check them out anyway) are linked to their respective websites.
- Mozilla Firefox: main web browser.
- Google Chrome: backup browser. Also downloaded to check that the new layout looks ok in it.
- Yahoo! Messenger 10
- Skype: I’m not on Skype much anymore, since YM’s video calls are usually excellent. Except for the fact that I can’t have the screens always on top of all other windows like Skype. Oh, and Skype’s not friendly with WampServer, I don’t know why.
- Microsoft Office 2007: Though I mainly only use Word and Publisher.
- Adobe Photoshop CS4
- IrfanView: main image viewer / quick editor.
- Photoscape: main edits, if I don’t want to open up Photoshop. I used to use Picasa, but I like Photoscape better.
- Adobe Dreamweaver CS3: web-editing.
- AutoCAD 2010: schoolwork lalalalala.
- MemoriesOnTV: video / slideshow editing.
- Adobe Acrobat: aside from reading PDFs, I use this to print “poster-style” stuff, ie. A4 pages that tile to form a larger image.
- 7-zip: a total essential.
- Allway Sync: for backing up files to my external hard drive.
- Athan: because I’m not in Malaysia anymore (where I can hear the athan from outside my window).
- Orbit Downloader: for downloading embedded videos.
- VLC Player: main video/audio player. Though Windows Media Player isn’t bad.
- WampServer: for running WordPress on my computer.
The Firefox add-ons:
- Littlefox theme: I hate it when the actual viewing area is tiny and there are too many toolbars around. This theme maximises the page even more.
- Adblock Plus: Bye-bye ads. It’s odd when I use someone else’s computer and see ads everywhere.
- All-in-one Gestures: Mainly for tablet users. I use the shortcuts for opening links in new tabs, closing tabs, going back or forward, halving picture sizes, etc.
- ColorZilla: Mainly for webdesigners.
- DownThemAll!: I don’t really need this since the internet here is FAST , but the one-click thing is convenient.
- dragdropupload: because I love dragging-and-dropping.
- Gmail notifier
- Google Reader Watcher
- Inline Google Definitions: Seriously helps with your vocabulary.
- TabMixPlus: because I like my tabs at the bottom of the window. And other tweaks.
- Web Developer
Not that long of a list, eh? I still need 3D Studio Max, I think, but I’ll get around to that when term starts.
Anyway, I’m actually off to Spain for a week beginning tomorrow, 7 January. And when I get back, winter hols are almost over… Why are holidays never long enough? Update on my swollen hand: Apparently I need blood tests done for a proper diagnosis, and the first attempt today proved unfruitful (unbloodful?). Absolutely nothing would come out — I blame the cold, snowy weather. :shakefist: My poor punctured arms… The next try at squeezing four tubes of blood out of me will be after I come back from Spain. So more delays in solving the problem and more time I’ll have to endure the itching and discomfort. Oh well. There’s a reason for everything.
Pray for our safe journey, I’ll be back!